Brody’s Arrival

Brody’s Arrival

Mama: Mary Ellen M.

Type of Birth: Cesarean

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

I had a pretty uneventful and enjoyable pregnancy until the very end and. I was due on December 15 with our first child – a boy!

In the last month of my pregnancy, I had developed PUPPPS and was constantly itching my skin and getting a rash all over my body. Unfortunately, this meant that I was more or less unable to sleep because I was up all night itching. I was also drinking gallons of water a day and up to use the bathroom constantly. Besides that, my pregnancy was great!

My doctor agreed to not let me go too far past my due date because of being diagnosed with PUPPPS and because they were guessing Brody was going to be a BIG boy! I was scheduled to be induced on the morning of December 16, just one day past my due date.

I checked into the hospital at 7 a.m. and by 7:30 when they checked me, I was dilated 4 cm. My doctor broke my water and contractions began within 45 minutes; no Pitocin was necessary. My contractions were not that bad when they started, but got very uncomfortable within three hours.

Around 10:30, I was given an epidural— the anesthesiologist kept on saying “I’m not going to give you that much to start with, you’re so tiny!” (Tiny, really? Thanks doc!) After giving it about 15 minutes to kick in, the nurse put in a catheter. Ouch! When I winced and cried out in pain the nurse said that they needed to give me more medicine since I shouldn’t have felt it at all. Once I was settled, I was able to drift in and out of sleep for a couple of hours.

Around 1:30 p.m., my doctor showed up at my door. I immediately thought, “Okay, why aren’t you at the office taking care of all of your patients?” The fact that he had even left the office and his other patients told me that something wasn’t right.

There were a few things going on… Brody’s heartbeat was too steady and he wasn’t moving around a lot which worried the doctor. Yes, he was big and running out of room, but he should have been moving.

I had developed high blood pressure and they were worried that I had developed pre-eclampsia. Some of my blood tests didn’t look right indicating something was unstable with my liver function and I was only dilated to 5 cm at the time.

The doctor also saw some merconium in the amniotic fluid. My doctor offered two options: either have a c-section now or try to labor for a few more hours and deliver vaginally.

I opted to have the cesarean because of what they said about Brody’s low heartbeat and lack of movement. I felt awful because my mom was at work and hadn’t come because she was figuring that labor could take many, many hours. We had planned that my husband would call her when we were close. She was quite surprised and worried when he called her at 1:45 p.m. and said “Change of plans — she’s having a c-section NOW!”

I was in the operating room by 2 p.m. and I remember being so out of it from the epidural and a magnesium IV they had given me that I said, “will I always feel this tired?” and one of the doctors said “yeah, for the next 18 years!”

My husband was by my head the whole time until my doctor said “Dad, do you want to see your son being born?” I’m not sure how he did it, but he managed to stand up and watch as they pulled Brody out of me, though he still shakes his head and won’t talk about what else he saw.

Brody was born at 2:25 p.m.

My husband got to hold him for about 15 minutes while they stitched me up and then they wheeled me to a post-op room for about two hours. I got to breastfeed there and we started calling everyone we knew to tell them the good news.

The absolute worst part of the whole ordeal was the magnesium IV they gave me — because of it, I was only allowed ice chips for 24 hours —not even sips of water were allowed. Since about the 36th week of pregnancy, all I wanted was cold liquids; I had no interest in foods. So this was honestly one of the hardest days of my life… to go 24 hours without drinking anything. At one point I started crying because the nurse told me I was eating too many ice chips. To top it off, there was NO sleep that night because they had to check my vitals every hour and they were bringing Brody to me to nurse every three hours. As soon as the 24 hours were up and I was able to eat and drink again, I felt like a new woman.

Our stay at the hospital was pretty uneventful, though we were there for five days.

Brody lost a little bit of weight, which is normal for c-section babies due to the IV fluids I received before he was born.

The doctors panicked when his weight dropped and insisted I supplement with formula. We did for a few feedings and it was no big deal. My milk came in by the fifth day and breastfeeding was a breeze for the next nine months.

Motherhood though? Not a breeze. But totally worth it.

6 Responses to Brody’s Arrival

  1. Pingback: Real Mama: Mary Ellen M. | Mama Say What?!

  2. This story reminds me a lot of when my boy was born. They said he was going to be a large baby, so they planned an induction… the DR broke my water and I ended up being put on Pitocin as I only dialated to 4cms… but I ended with a Csection because my son’s heartrate was low and he wasn’t moving… scariest yet happiest day of my life!

  3. I am also a c-section mama. Thank you for sharing your story!

  4. thanks for sharing! C-sections have their unpleasantness, but a healthy baby is all worth it. I have had 2 C-sections, one planned (breech) and one not planned (placenta/heart rate issues) and after the 1st 24 hours of recovery, they’re not that bad. The magnesium sounds horrible though!

  5. Pingback: How I Survived the 4th Trimester Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

  6. Pingback: Self-Wearning Before a Year Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>