Separating Egg Yolks The Easy Way
Separating eggs. No one likes to do it. It’s weird, slippery, and chances are you will get a fleck or two of shell in the bowl. And then, if you drop a yolk in to the whites bowl, good luck fishing that sucker out whole. So when I was baking with my mother-in-law and she pulled out an empty water bottle after she finished cracking eight eggs in to a bowl, I was very curious.
Here’s how to use an empty plastic water bottle to separate your egg whites from the yolk.
- Crack all your eggs in to one bowl.
- Squeeze the water bottle and place it directly over a yolk (lightly touching, but not pushing on it).
- Release the water bottle! The yolk will be sucked up in to the bottle.
- Squeeze the bottle again to deposit the yolk in to a second bowl.
- Repeat as needed and throw away the used bottle when you’re done.
That’s it! The best part? It still works very well on broken yolks, and your toddler can even do it.
Now get to baking!