A Due Date Baby: Carson’s Birth

A Due Date Baby: Carson’s Birth

Mama: Kim

Type of Birth: Vaginal

Birth Stats: 8 lbs, 4 oz, 19 inches

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

Carson was due on October 19th. Given that he was our second child AND our first baby Cooper, had to be delivered early, we kind of always assumed Carson would also be an early baby. I think in the back of my mind I was always prepared for another sudden diagnosis of preeclampsia followed by an induction, just like Cooper. As my due date approached, I was actually a little surprised that he hadn’t arrived yet!

The week of my due date, I decided I needed to be as prepared as possible because the doctor wanted to induce me at 41 weeks if I hadn’t delivered on my own. I went crazy getting the house ready (nesting?) and making 44 freezer meals for easy dinners after the baby arrived. I tried to stay on my feet as much as possible.

The night before he was due, I was feeling a little bit of cramping but nothing that stopped me in my tracks. I went to bed thinking that my due date would probably come and go with little excitement. In the middle of the night, I woke up with some more cramping, this time a little stronger but not regular. I estimated these weak contractions were happening every 40 minutes, so I tried my best to get some sleep, still thinking they were just Braxton Hicks contractions. Early in the morning, I noticed some spotting, so I called the doctor right away. She told me to keep my scheduled appointment at 11 a.m. on my due date and not to go to the hospital until the contractions were three to five minutes apart.

Later in the morning, the doctor’s office called and asked to push my appointment back to 2 p.m. Given that my contractions were still 20 minutes apart (and not that strong), I didn’t see a problem in waiting a few extra hours. I was still convinced this wasn’t real labor and I would be sent home after the appointment.

When my mom arrived at my house at 1 p.m. to watch Cooper, I was in some serious pain. The contractions were still only 15 minutes apart, but they were strong! My husband rushed me out of the door and we said goodbye to Cooper. I was emotional thinking about leaving Cooper for a few nights and the magnitude of how our family would soon be changing.

The ride to the doctor’s office was very painful. Four miles across the Chesapeake Bay while moaning in pain is a little intense! Once we parked, I had to stop on the walk into the office just to breathe through a contraction while waiting for the elevator. A woman next to me smiled and said, “They say sex is good for that!” I forced a smile and politely reminded her that I was pretty sure that was how I got into this position.

Once in the office, we faced a long wait time before being called back into an exam room. My contractions were still ten minutes apart but I had four of them while waiting to hear my name. My husband finally went to the desk and told the receptionist that I was in active labor and needed to be seen immediately.

Given that the contractions were still ten minutes apart, I don’t think the nurse or the doctor expected me to be very far along. Everyone (myself included) was very surprised to find out that I was 6 cm dilated already! I was told to immediately go to the hospital (which is connected to the doctor’s office) to prepare for delivery. The doctor said she would meet us there very soon.

On the walk to the hospital, I had to stop and get on my hands and knees to work through a contraction. Apparently I was having “back labor” with this baby, which was a new term to me.

I finally reached the room, changed into my new maternity gown brought from home and set anxiously waiting for the doctor to arrive. When she came into the room, I was already 8 cm dilated! At this point the pain was out of control and I got an epidural. Similar to Cooper’s birth, it was just enough to keep me comfortable yet I could still feel the pressure from the contractions.

The craziest part? My contractions were still close to ten minutes apart. Good thing I didn’t wait until they were three to five minutes apart before coming to the hospital! There was only a three hour window between the time I was first examined at the doctor’s office and when I started pushing.

It wasn’t long before the contractions became closer together and it was time to push. This time around I knew what to do and was much more anxious to deliver. It was very quick (maybe 15-20 minutes), and within no time, our sweet baby boy had arrived. He was every bit of perfection and oh, so handsome!

Cooper came with Grammy and Pop-Pop to meet his new little brother right away. Although he wasn’t overly interested in Carson, seeing them together was one of the happiest moments of my life.

Guest Mama Kim is a stay-at-home mama for her adorable toddler boys (one is 2 1/2 and the other is 1) and wife to her amazing husband. Kim’s family lives in Maryland, on an island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. When she’s not fixing lunches, changing diapers and corraling toys, she can be found running on the trails, chasing the boys at the park, trying out new recipes with her husband or chatting on her blog.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>