Cooper’s Early Surprise Arrival

Cooper’s Early Surprise Arrival

Mama: Kim

Type of Birth: Vaginal

Birth Stats: 7 lbs, 11 oz, 19.5 inches

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

Cooper was due on April 29th, and being that he was our first child, we assumed he would be born later than his due date. At that time, my commute to work was close to an hour each way (and I was taking a commuter bus) so the doctor suggested I begin working from home starting in the second week of April. My manager, client, and project team were all very flexible so I was able to follow the doctor’s orders without having to begin my maternity leave early.

On April 13th (my birthday!) I had an OBGYN appointment around lunchtime, purposely scheduled so that my husband could join me. As we waited in the exam room, I remember us discussing the plans for that evening — a sushi dinner followed by birthday cake with my family. That day I was seeing a doctor in my practice that I hadn’t seen before. She had a reputation of being the favorite among many patients so I was looking forward to meeting her. As she entered the room, she immediately asked if I was feeling any differently that day. I had been a little lightheaded over the past few days, but when I woke up it was gone so I hadn’t thought much of it. She informed me that they had found protein in my urine and my blood pressure was right on the cusp on being high. For someone with traditionally normal (almost low) blood pressure, she was concerned.

After a quick examination, she determined that I was dilated two centimeters. She left the room and told us she would be back after talking to one of the other doctors. When she returned, she said that they had decided to treat me for preeclampsia and I would be induced later that evening.

Excuse me?! Like, today? As in, I’m delivering this baby soon?! To say we were in shock would be an understatement. I know we should have been prepared for anything but this really took us by surprise.

After we asked what seemed like a million questions about preeclampsia, we left the office. My husband had to go back to work to close up shop as he would be out for the next 11 days. Before we pulled out of the parking garage, we called both sets of parents to give them the news. I drove home and spent the afternoon tying up loose ends at work and calling friends. That night we celebrated my birthday with sushi take-out (California rolls for me, don’t worry!) and a birthday cake. It was the last celebration we would ever have without our sweet baby boy with us.

At 7 p.m. we said goodbye to our pup, Banks, and drove to the hospital. We were excited, nervous, anxious and giddy all at once.

The nurses that checked us in were extremely nice and patient with us. They loved my maternity hospital gown that I brought from home! That night I had my blood pressure taken every five minutes throughout the night. I was also hooked up to the fetal monitor while receiving fluids through an IV as well as medicine to assist with thinning my cervix. I’m not sure that I got any sleep at all.

The next morning, the doctor started Pitocin around 6 a.m. Around 2 p.m. the doctor was getting nervous that my blood pressure was getting too high and suggested that I get an epidural to help with the pain. I wasn’t against an epidural, however a bad experience with a spinal tap a few years prior had left me a little nervous. Finally I agreed and the epidural was inserted very quickly and without incident.

The day progressed pretty slowly, but the nurses and doctor were all very positive about how things were going. At around 8 p.m. we texted our parents and told them it was almost time to push (eek!) and that they should come to the hospital so they could be there to meet our little man when he arrived.

After about 30 minutes of pushing, our little guy was here! He was tiny, and handsome, and precious, and oh so amazing. It was love at first sight.

My recovery from labor was really easy. Other than elevated blood pressure for the next few weeks, I wasn’t in too much pain and was able to easily move around and care for Cooper. Although it was a surprise to deliver to early, I wouldn’t change a thing because Cooper was so healthy and we were so happy to have those extra few weeks with him.

Guest Mama Kim is a stay-at-home mom for her adorable toddler boys (one is 2 1/2 and the other is 1) and wife to her amazing husband. Kim’s family lives in Maryland, on an island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. When she’s not fixing lunches, changing diapers and corralling toys - she can be found running on the trails, chasing the boys at the park, trying out new recipes with her husband or chatting on her blog.

One Response to Cooper’s Early Surprise Arrival

  1. Pingback: A Due Date Baby: Carson's Birth Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>