Daddy’s Birthday Surprise: C’s Birth Story

Daddy’s Birthday Surprise: C’s Birth Story

Mama: Sarah K.

Stats: 8lbs, 4oz, 21 inches

Type of Birth: Vaginal

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

I’m over a year behind on sharing C’s birth story with you. I was also doing some reflecting and found this little gem in my Mama interview:

“Was your birth experience all that you hoped it would be? If you could go back and change anything, what would it be?

My birth experience was not what I expected. As most mamas know, not all of the experience is in our control. If I could change anything it would be to have much shorter and a less painful labor. I would not have gone to the hospital numerous times and come home with no baby. I would have gone to the hospital once, for a short amount of time, not needing Pitocin or an epidural, and birthed a beautiful, perfect, baby girl. Everything turned out great in the end, thankfully.

Be careful what you wish for because I totally got mine with my second baby, C!

I’m going to rewind a bit on this story. Here is some background: I am a full-time working mama of a two-year-old and married to a busy farmer who also works full-time at a job in a city over an hour away. By the time I got home from work each day, I was exhausted, and being 9 months pregnant, feeling huge.

The more the baby grew, the bigger I grew, the more miserable I became, and I looked terrible. Being how terrible I felt and how amazingly pregnant I was, a week before my due date my supervisor and a couple other higher-ups let me work from home until I had the baby and went on maternity leave. I was very, very grateful for this. I was more comfortable at home and my office friends didn’t have to see me in my big, wonderful, pregnant glory. Plus, no one had to worry that I would go into labor at the office. Winners all around! Also, at my weekly appointment I got on the books for a C-section since my nurse said, “Sometimes you just need to get on the books and then you have the baby.” My birth plan did not include a C-section so I totally wanted to avoid that at all costs.

The only downside I could remember to all of this is that my husband worked from home with me at the same desk for the entire week. We had some bonding, pregnant-lady-style. By Friday evening, my hubby was stir crazy being stuck in the house and wanted to do some manual labor. Since we live in town, he asked the neighbor if he needed any help and that pacified him for the night.

Saturday morning I woke up about 4 a.m. I wasn’t sleeping very well by this time because, well, I was huge and the baby kept me awake at night. To my surprise I had a lot of energy so I went along my business while my 2-year-old daughter and husband were fast asleep. I decided to tackle a photo album. I had that baby stuffed and finished by 5:30 a.m. so I did something else. And something else. And something else. Like I said, I had A LOT of energy.

After the rest of the family got up and had breakfast we made our plans for the day. Since, the baby’s due date was Sunday, I decided to tag along with my husband on whatever he wanted to do. First, we decided to clean the house. We cleaned the house! We dusted, we swept the floors, we cleaned the bathrooms. This was the whole house. It was nice to have it done. Since that was finished, we cleaned the garage. Well, my husband cleaned the garage and I waddled around sweating everywhere and chasing our daughter around while she played outside. Next, we cleaned out the vehicles. Finally, to top it all off we took both vehicles to the car wash. Everything at our house was clean and sparkly so I said to my husband, “Let’s go to the farm.” Saturday is the day he is at the farm each week to do his weekly farm chores. I grabbed my hospital bag and packed an overnight bag for M as well. I made sure to throw in a couple extra outfits in case we really did have this baby, today.

At the farm I decided I was going to, “walk this baby out!” I even pinged our Mama Say What?! Community for their suggestions. I got some good ones and tried them all. I even got a cute support meme from another mama. The community is pretty fun and helpful, check us out!!

While Grandma and the aunts watched M, I went with my husband to the farm. I took laps around the turkey barns and walked the gravel roads in the “neighborhood.” I started having cramps and knew that was a good sign. To my dismay, they were similar to period cramps and not the terrible pains that made me moan during my first birth experience. So I shook them off and kept on walking. I also had a couple other signs of labor, and I should have known better since it was my second child, but I kept on walking since my cramps were only annoying.

I was physically tired from all of this walking so I went back to the in-law’s house to help with supper and get cleaned up. After some time I had another sign of labor so I immediately called my husband to come back when he finished the farm project he was working on, eat supper, and take me home. I think everyone was pretty excited about this. M got to stay at Grandma and Grandpa’s house and I was finally going to get this baby out of me. We headed home around 7 p.m.

I had been timing my contractions, even though they were still annoying menstrual cramps. It took us an hour-and-a-half to get from the farm to the hospital and I wanted to go home and shower first. The contraction pains grew a bit stronger and my silly goal was to make it to midnight before going to the hospital. I figured I would spend 12 hours there and still need to be induced, so I wanted to labor at home as long as possible. Since my contractions weren’t that bad, I figured I would only be about 4 cm dilated by the time we got to the hospital and checked in.

It started storming and you know what they say about storms? Storms bring babies! My husband convinced me that we needed to go to the hospital sooner, around 11 p.m. As soon as we loaded up the car and started our trip to the hospital 20 miles away, the contractions hit me hard. They were really painful and about 2 minutes apart. I knew this was getting serious. It took us about 30 minutes to get to the hospital because it was pouring down rain and we wanted to be careful on our way there.

At the hospital, we had to go to the ER because the entrance to the Labor and Delivery Unit was closed. The time passed so slowly waiting in the ER for one of the L&D nurses to come get me. It was on the opposite corner of the hospital so they brought me a wheelchair. Which, I should have used, but again, silly me was convinced that they would make me walk anyway because I was probably only dilated to a 5.

Finally, I checked in to triage in L&D and it got crazy. The nurse checked my progression and I was at 8 or 10 cm and 100% effaced!

It has been 15 months since my son was born, so I asked my husband if he could remember exactly what happened. This is what he said, “When you asked about an epidural the nurses looked at each other and then me and said, that’s not going to happen! I can’t remember how far along you were, but close enough we could have had him in the car.”

The head nurse was called to help and they moved me to a delivery room and started setting everything up. They had a third nurse call the on-call doctor, who happened to be my OBGYN. Luckily she was in the parking lot so she just came back up. What was even more fun about me knowing that my OBGYN was going to deliver my baby is that she also delivered M. I love that she caught both of my babies.

We also had some more fun during delivery. I was in PAIN at this point. I hadn’t even filled out the paperwork, got wristbands, all that jazz. I was begging for an epidural and antibiotics because I was Group Strep B positive. I had an epidural in my birth plan because I decided to use modern medicine. I had one before and knew what to expect and what to request. The same nurse who called the doctor back in was trying to hunt down the anesthesiologist. One was in the ER with a patient and the other was at home, asleep. It was 12:30 a.m. and he said he wasn’t coming in. Well, ok, Mr. Anesthesiologist! I wasn’t very happy at this point and in a lot of pain. I couldn’t really feel my legs and I think I was kicking everywhere from the contraction pain. The nurses and doctor kept telling me to wait and try not to push. The feeling was so strong that I told them I needed to and that this baby was coming out.

Since, I couldn’t get an epidural they gave me some medication intravenously. It was pretty nice and I would definitely do it again. It really took the edge off the contractions so only my downstairs was on fire and I could focus more on pushing effectively.

At 1:28 a.m. baby boy C was born! It was a really great birthday gift for my husband. Baby C and he have the same birthday! C weighed 8 lbs and 4 oz and was 21 inches long. We immediately started skin-to-skin for nursing. The nurses and staff cleaned up the room and the three of us relaxed. After such a whirlwind day it was really nice to take a breather.

As soon as morning came they started more tests on C since I was Group Strep B positive. They were concerned that he would have pneumonia so he was monitored periodically throughout the two days we were in the hospital. He also was being monitored for jaundice because he was born so quickly. The nurse explained that he didn’t have enough time in the birth canal to be “squished” and sometimes jaundice can come into play. Luckily, he was a healthy baby and didn’t have pneumonia or jaundice. He did have tongue tie which kept us in the hospital for an entire third day. That is another story my friends! You will have to check back later to read C’s tongue tie story on Mama Say What?!

Similar to my first birth story, I’m going to touch on the hospital. We loved our hospital and continue to use it.  The nurses, assistants, and doctors were great. We went to a rural hospital this time since I did not have a high-risk pregnancy and baby C was healthy during all of the tests. It was much smaller than the city hospital we chose to have M in. It was all we needed. They had recently remodeled the hospital to have large, modern, private postpartum rooms, rooming-in for baby, a dedicated C-Section Suite, a Lactation Consultant, and to quote the hospital, “Stellar Nursing Staff.” We couldn’t ask for more. Plus, it was a rural hospital there were 8-10 mothers there at a time so there was plenty of staff to take care of you and help you with new-mama things like lactation and tongue tie assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>