M’s Easy Entrance into the World

M’s Easy Entrance into the World

Mama: Melissa T.

Stats: 7 lbs, 5 oz, 20 inches

Type of Birth: Vaginal

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

I had a pretty easy pregnancy the first time around with my son, so when I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes at 28 weeks with my daughter, I was very surprised. Luckily my diabetes was very borderline and diet controlled, however my doctor wanted to schedule me for induction at 39 weeks, which is standard procedure in their office for Gestational Diabetes patients, regardless.

I began getting sonograms (biophysical profile - BPP) and NSTs (Non-Stress Tests) every week, starting at 32 weeks. And at 38 weeks, I scheduled my induction date for exactly 39 weeks. We got everything situated for my son, took off work, cleaned our house top to bottom and were ready for the baby to come. After getting news that my office had to push my induction because of scheduling conflicts the Monday night before I was set to go (I was scheduled for a Wednesday), I got super upset and frustrated. By that point I was just ready to meet my daughter. We had an appointment the next morning and my doctor was going to tell us what to do about the induction.

I went to bed that night around 9:30 like normal, but could not fall asleep. I thought I was just anxiously anticipating my appointment the next day. I was contracting all night, pretty much to the point where they would wake me up and I was out of bed 1000 times, trying to get comfortable. At 4 a.m. I almost just said, ‘screw it,’ and went downstairs to watch television. We finally got up at 6:30 a.m. I showered, got ready, and walked my son down to daycare. My husband and I then had breakfast, straightened up the house, and made sure all our stuff was packed.

We went into my appointment and did the sono/BPP and the NST. I was contracting, but I didn’t think it was going to be enough to send us directly over to the hospital or cause any big changes. Then we saw my doctor and found out I was five centimeters dilated! She informed me that I was half way through my labor and sent me directly over to the hospital. Whoooo hoo!

We checked in, called our family, got settled, and about two hours later my doctor came in and broke my water. I felt like I was in a dream. I could not believe it was actually happening the day before my original scheduled induction. Some of our family started arriving, and we were just hanging out in the room, chatting and passing the time.

The baby was having decels in her heart rate (because the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck) and they had me changing positions every couple of minutes. My contractions were about three to five minutes apart and I decided to get the epidural before they started Pitocin. With my first birth, my epidural did not take on my right side and I wanted to try and see if we could get it going correctly this time. They started Pitocin around 2:30 p.m. to try and ensure I would deliver vaginally and to try and make the contractions more regular. And alas, it once again did not take on my entire right side!

The Pitocin really screwed me up this time around. I felt SO nauseated and was shaking uncontrollably… at one point I felt like I was going to throw up. I asked them to turn it down it was so bad. (I really didn’t think I needed it to begin with, but that’s a different story.) I believe that the shaking was also part of me going through transition, because at one point I kept saying I was ready to push, ready to get this party started and I felt like it was time. They were just about to put an internal monitor on the baby because she was moving around so much and they kept losing her heart rate, when my doctor came in and checked me… I was in fact complete!

It was about 5:30 p.m. at that point, and M was born about ten minutes and three pushes later. It was seriously the easiest labor and delivery of my life. I didn’t have any tears or need an episiotomy, and about 20 minutes after she was born I felt like I could get up and walk around. M latched instantly about 20 minutes after birth and has been eating and sleeping like a champ since.

I can’t believe it happened so fast and is already over. She is SO tiny and precious, we love her so much already.

11 Responses to M’s Easy Entrance into the World

  1. What a wonderful birth story - such a cutie!

  2. Great birth story, thank for sharing!

  3. What a beautiful and wonderful birth story! I love hearing about the easy births!

  4. Cheyenne Schweikert Reply

    What a beautiful story!

  5. Beautiful birth story, I only hope that mine is like this!

  6. Congrats!!

  7. That is a gorgeous birth story! It’s great to hear everything worked out well and you didn’t have to be induced :) Congratulations on the smooth delivery!

  8. Pingback: And I love them just the same (My two very different BFPs) Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

  9. Pingback: Our final Puzzle Piece - Princess Makenna | The Sugar & Spice of Everyday Life

  10. Pingback: Baby Bullet Review and Giveaway Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

  11. Pingback: Breast Feeding; A Journey. A Goal. An accomplishment. | The Sugar & Spice of Everyday Life

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>