Cassidy’s Arrival

Cassidy’s Arrival

Mama: Kathy S.

Stats: 7 lbs., 2 oz.

Type of Birth: Vaginal

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

On Saturday, January 21, 2012 I was 39 weeks 5 days pregnant. My pregnancy had been fairly easy; next to no morning sickness, zero swelling and the baby growing just as she should be. Seeing that I was creeping up on 40 weeks, I was of course tired and uncomfortable, but nothing crazy to complain about.

However, that Saturday morning was different. I was feeling ‘off’ and experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions about every 10 to 15 minutes. I just knew that the baby was coming soon and remember saying to my husband that if she didn’t come that day, it would be the following day at the very latest.

That evening we had made plans to go out for my friend’s birthday. I had done my hair and put makeup on, but as we sat and ate dinner, I just felt like it wasn’t a good idea for me to be going anywhere.  So instead, my husband and I got comfy and watched a movie, and by 8 p.m. the contractions had started. They weren’t very strong and about 15 minutes apart, but I could tell they were much different than the Braxton Hicks I had been experiencing all day.

After attempting to go to bed and get some rest, the contractions were five minutes apart and lasting 45 seconds each. My obstetrician had said that when I got to this point, it was time to go to the hospital. As I got myself dressed, my husband loaded up the car with everything I had previously packed and at 2 a.m., we arrived at the hospital.

After checking into triage and being hooked up to the monitor, the nurse checked me and I was only 2 cm dilated, so we were sent to walk around the hospital to try and get things moving quicker. Unfortunately, the walking didn’t do a whole lot to help, and due to the back contractions I was having, the pain was starting to become too much. Four hours went by and I was put into my own room, where I received an epidural almost right away. I can’t even tell you what a relief it was! I have never done well with needles, but getting the epidural was a piece of cake!

Finally we were settled into the room and I was comfortable, so we called our parents to let them know. We planned on not telling anyone else until after the baby was born, which I think was the best way to go for us. Soon after, both my mom and mother-in-law arrived to be there with us.

Having had almost no sleep, the rest of the day all seems like a blur now. About three hours after receiving the epidural, I was only 4 cm dilated and at this point the doctor thought it would be best to break my water to see if it would help; It didn’t.

So, next up was Pitocin and it worked great! In less than three hours I went from 4 cm to 10 cm. It was so exciting to hear! Now, in all of the movies and television shows I have seen they make it seem that when you reach 10 cm, you’re all set to push. WRONG!  The baby wasn’t low enough for me to start pushing which meant we had to wait even longer.

Another bit of information that we received was that the baby was posterior, meaning face up, and could result in extra work when it came time to push. The doctor attempted to turn the baby manually, and let me tell you, that was by far the worst experience of labor and delivery. It was incredibly uncomfortable, and at times painful. Unfortunately, it didn’t work and we just had to hope that the baby would turn on her own.

An hour passed, and we got the green light! Not only was it time to push, but the baby did finally turn.

Up until this point, I had been very calm and just enjoyed labor as much as I could.  The nurse prepped me and explained that on the next contraction it would be time to start pushing and I had a mini panic attack, which I kept to myself.

This meant that my baby would be here soon, I would be a mommy and my world as I knew it would be changed forever… Extremely exciting, yet mildly terrifying!

The next contraction came, and I began to push.  I stayed silent and focused the entire time and could really only hear my husband quietly cheering me on as he rubbed my shoulders. Everything else just sort of disappeared.

This continued for six or seven contractions, and less than 30 minutes later our little angel made her appearance!

Cassidy Jean was born at 2:39 p.m. and all 7 lbs 2 oz of her were just perfect!

One Response to Cassidy’s Arrival

  1. Pingback: Keaton's Birth Story Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>