Evie’s Entrance into Our World

Evie’s Entrance into Our World

Mama: Miriam

Stats: 6 lbs., 14 oz., 20 inches

Type of Birth: Vaginal Delivery

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

My pregnancy with daughter number three was far from a breeze. I dealt with symphysis pubis dysfunction and gall bladder attacks all throughout my third trimester. Needless to say, with the pain I was in, on top of being a full-time student and a mom to a very busy toddler and first grader, by the end of my pregnancy I was more than ready to meet our third precious angel.

I had several “false alarms” with Lilah, my second daughter, and I was determined not to go to the hospital until it was the real deal this time around… but as I have always told my friends who are first time mamas, when it comes to labor and delivery, “always plan to not have plans, but expect the unexpected.”

At 36 weeks pregnant I went to my routine doctor’s appointment and they found traces of protein in my urine and my blood pressure was elevated (but not to a dangerous level).

The doctor told me that we would keep an eye on things but there was not a huge cause for concern at the time. He also told me that if I had any dizziness, headaches or blurred vision to go to labor and delivery triage to be checked out.

Fast forward to January 17th, I was 38 weeks along exactly. I woke up with my husband, Craig, early in the morning (4:30 a.m. to be exact) like I had for weeks. It had become a routine that we both enjoyed. I got quiet time before little Lilah, the tornado of a toddler, woke up and it was a little time for my husband and I to spend together.

However, that morning I woke up and was extremely dizzy. I felt like I was going to fall over. My husband kept asking me if he should stay home and take me to triage but I insisted that I just needed to eat and sent him on his way.

I ate oatmeal and a banana and after another half hour I was still very dizzy. I called the doctor’s call line and they told me to COME IN. So that meant calling my mother-in-law and husband who both wanted to be at the birth. After a busy hour or two of getting Lilah around and making sure everything was in order, we got to the hospital.

I was happy to hear that everything checked out fine and I could leave.

From the OB triage, we went to see my actual OB for a scheduled appointment. He did a check and listened to Evie’s heartbeat and said that he was pretty sure my body was going into early labor.

The rest of that day I had quite a few contractions. In fact, we timed them for about six hours and they were only four to six minutes apart and most were sustained for at least a minute.

After six hours we decided we’d better go back into triage for the second time that day.

Murphy’s Law affected me and when we got to triage, my contractions totally slowed down and then stalled out. I had progressed from 2-3 cm at the OB’s office to a 3-4, but without the contractions moving things along the resident thought it was best for me to go home and get some sleep, as we would be more comfortable at home and she had no idea when I would go into active labor.

They assured us that they would be seeing us again soon. To be honest, as frustrated as I was to have two false alarms in one day, I was very happy to be able to go home and sleep in my own bed.

I woke up on January 18th still pregnant.

My husband and I both woke up fairly early that day because we were anxious to get Lilah back home since she spent the night at a family member’s house. Around 8:30 a.m. I started having some strong contractions and Craig left to get Lilah. She was only five minutes up the road, but by the time he got back I was on my hands and knees on the floor having “oh holy ouch” contractions. They went on for about an hour and I told him… we are going in and they are giving me something for this pain. I knew that this was it for sure.

Once we made all the necessary calls and Lilah was taken back to her uncle’s house, we were on our way.

Up until that point, I had be on my hands and knees whenever the contractions hit but obviously in a car that wasn’t possible so every contraction I had led to me thrashing in the front seat, causing Craig’s foot to get heavy. He would start to accelerate until I was able to get some relief and then his foot got lighter.

We made it to the hospital (I’m sure we made record time thanks to the many contractions I had) and EVERY parking space seemed to be full. I insisted that I could walk so we ended up parking near the helicopter pad.

I got out of the van and walked about 10 steps before having another hard contraction. I made it into the elevator (which was packed with people) where I actually announced, “Nobody touch me.” (My husband was in the other corner giggling).

Oh, and in case you are curious… I did walk to the closest wheelchair and told Craig to grab it; I wasn’t going to walk anymore! haha.

I had the fastest stay in L&D triage I had ever had. The nurse came in to check me, saw that I was dilated 5-6 cm and started to admit me. The only wait I had was on the on call doctor from my OB office to come check and make sure that the little one was still head down. (She was).

The doctor and nurse both asked if I was going to have an epidural and I was on the fence about it. I had very successful epidurals with my first two daughters and really wanted to try going without this time around. Once I got settled into the labor room, I decided that after almost 32 hours of contracting, my body was tired and the epidural was, in fact, a good idea.

I asked the anesthesiologist for a “low dose” epi and he ordered a 5 bolus instead of a 10. That was the BEST decision I made the whole labor and delivery. I could still feel my legs but I could also feel what was going on with my body (pressure and pushing) which I hadn’t ever been able to feel before.

Once the epidural was in place, the on call doctor came in to break my water. My OB came over from his office to check on me and told us that he was going to try his hardest to come deliver my baby. He joked that he didn’t have his running shoes on so we had to give him some time to get there.

Around two in the afternoon, I started feeling pressure. When the nurse checked me, I was 7-8 cm dilated. I told my husband and mother-in-law, who were both very hungry, to go ahead and get some food because they still had a little time. Craig was hesitant to leave but we assured him that we would call if she was coming.

They were only gone for about 15 minutes when they came running back in. My mother-in-law was sweating and both were huffing and puffing. I guess they didn’t have reception in the cafeteria and so they had to inhale their food and run back upstairs because Craig was sure that Evie was coming soon.

I guess his daddy instinct was right on, because not even ten minutes later it felt like the hoover dam had released between my legs and I called the nurse back in to check me. She came in and asked if I was going to make a liar out of her since she had just told Dr. Martin that I probably had some time left.

She checked me and called the nurses’ station to page the doctor and tell him it was go time. Then she told me to hold on.

Now for those of you who have been ready to push and been told to wait for the doctor, you know what a difficult task that is. I crossed my legs and tried to think about other things. The doctor came in completely out of breath (his office was in another building across the street that is connected by a sky walk). We gave him a few minutes to recover before I started to push.

I pushed for a full seven minutes. It was fast, which was a very good thing because as she came down, the cord slipped down around her neck and was cutting off her circulation. She came out looking like a blueberry, which was pretty scary, but she let out a scream that brought tears to her parents’ and grandparents’ eyes!

She was 6 lbs. and 14 oz. of perfection. She and I both recovered amazingly and her two older sisters absolutely love her (that is another story altogether, though)!

Image by Rikki Leigh Photography

6 Responses to Evie’s Entrance into Our World

  1. What a whirlwind of a birth story! Congrats on your precious baby girl(s) times 3!

  2. Love your birth story! She’s such a beautiful newborn.

  3. Beautiful birth story, thank you for sharing!

  4. Congrats!

  5. Pingback: Unexpected Surprise: My BFP?! Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

  6. Pingback: Penny Wise: Save Money with Some Organization Mama Say What?! | Mama Say What?!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>