Rory’s Story

Rory’s Birth Story

Mama: Jaimie S.

Stats: 8 lbs., 1 oz.

Type of Birth: Vaginal Delivery

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

As much as I loved all the fun leading up to my baby girl arriving, when the time came I was calm, ready and wanting her in my arms.

Rory was my first baby. We took birthing classes and practiced HypnoBirthing methods for the entire nine months, but I still was not sure when and how my labor would begin. I was lucky to stay at home for the last couple weeks and didn’t have to go into work. During the day I would go for a walk, and at night I would bounce on my ball. I didn’t have any Braxton Hicks contractions and I felt great overall. I was thinking that I would for sure go late, but my little girl knew I liked sticking to a schedule and so she stuck to it.

My due date was July 27, 2011, and what do you know, my baby girl was born on July 27, 2011.

The evening of July 25, 2011 I was bouncing on my ball and reading a book. When I got up I noticed the ball had a fairly large damp circle from where I had been sitting. All that day I had noticed that I had been very slowly leaking fluid. I talked to my husband about it and we decided to just wait and see, hoping that in the middle of the night my water would break and labor would begin.

The next morning I woke up after a restless night of sleep, as anyone with a beach ball under their shirt can experience. I saw that the spot where I was sleeping was wet, but the sheets were not soaked through and I still did not have any labor signs.

I got ready for the day and called my doctor. She asked me to come into the office. At 8:45 a.m., I checked in to my appointment and it all began. My doctor did the test strips to see if my water had actually broken. She was unable to tell from that so I had to do an ultrasound. When doing the ultrasound, she told me my fluid levels were very low and that I needed to be induced. This was very shocking to me. I had practiced HypnoBirthing and was hoping for an un-medicated birth. However, the doctor told me that with my leak and low fluid levels, the baby needed to come out now because of the risk of infection.

She instructed me to go straight to the hospital. I kind of followed directions. I live in a small town, so first I went home and got my bag, already calling my husband on the car ride home. He met me at the house and we headed to the hospital. We got checked in, and by 12:45 p.m. I was hooked up, and the Pitocin began.

For the next five hours, my contractions began to get more frequent and consistent. They were about four minutes apart but very manageable. Close to 6 p.m. the doctor came in to see how I was doing. She tried to break the rest of my bag and said not much fluid came out. She also told me I was still only at three cm dilated. I knew I was in for a long night.

I continued to breathe and practice my relaxation methods. I was proud I had made it this far. After the doctor checked me, things got a lot more painful and I was struggling more. I started to feel sick and had to use the conveniently located trash can a couple times. At 10:15 p.m. the nurse came in and asked if I wanted to be checked again. I was four and a half centimeters dilated. It was progress, but not as much as I was hoping for. After another hour passing and reaching full-on nausea, tears began to stream out and I asked for an epidural. I was upset with myself for caving in, but I knew what my body needed in that moment. I was at almost twelve hours of labor and happy that I tried to do without. My epidural kicked in and I felt great. I was able to lay down and try to relax.

For the next two hours I tried to just stay calm and focus on my breathing. My husband was great and held my hand, reassuring me I made the right decision with the epidural. I began to feel a lot of pressure again and called the nurse in. She did a check and I was 10 centimeters and ready to go. My Rory was on her way….

I pushed a couple times. She was very impressed and went to call the doctor because she did not think it would take long. I continued to push and was getting so close before the doctor arrived that they actually told me to stop pushing and wait for the doctor. I thought they were kidding, thankfully a minute or so later the doctor arrived and I was able to resume pushing. Who knew that pushing was what felt better than sitting there not pushing?

I pushed a few times. I was happy that, even though I got the epidural, I was still able to feel my body go through this and had feeling in my legs. I felt in control, which is what I wanted. I smiled at my husband knowing we were so close. And the doctor, who could tell I was in a positive mood, sang me Ring of Fire as Rory’s head was crowning. A couple more pushes and she was out…  screaming and beautiful.

The nurses put her on my chest immediately and I was hooked. After a while they cut the cord and took her to be cleaned and weighed. I was very aware, awake and simply amazed. In just a short time, our family had gone from two to three and I was oh-so happy.

Rory S. was born on July 27, 2011 at 19.5 inches weighing 8 pounds and 1 ounce.

One Response to Rory’s Story

  1. I loved reading Rory’s story-very similar to my own just 6 days ago. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>