L’s Birth: With Time for Cookies

L’s Birth: With Time for Cookies

Mama: Corey P.

Type of Birth: Vaginal Delivery

Birth Location: Hospital

Primary Care: Obstetrician

I had been experiencing prodromal labor for about two weeks and even though L wasn’t due for another ten days, I was SOO ready for him to arrive. On Sunday, April 17 I was feeling a little blah so I spent the day with my mom watching Lifetime movies.

I got home at about 8 p.m. had some Blue Bell ice cream and crawled into bed fairly early. I was still experiencing contractions but nothing out of the ordinary.

I had a really hard time getting to sleep and spent a lot of time tossing and turning. By about 11 p.m. I was having some pretty uncomfortable cramping and still having contractions, but it did not necessarily feel like the pain was coinciding with the contractions so I wasn’t too worried about it.

I couldn’t sleep which made my husband, Matt, very anxious so he asked if he should start packing the hospital bag. Since I couldn’t time the contractions I told him not to worry about it just yet.

At about 1 a.m. I decided I needed to do a couple loads of laundry because I couldn’t sleep, I was in pain and if I did need to go to the hospital I didn’t have all the clothes I wanted.

At 2 a.m. I got on the treadmill and walked for about 20 minutes to see if the pain would go away. (As a side note… there is NOTHING to watch on TV at 2 a.m. on a Monday.) It got to the point where I had to stop walking during the cramps and I knew that something was definitely going on.

At about 2:45 a.m., Matt finally told me that we were going to the hospital and I needed to take a shower. So I hopped in the shower while he packed our bags. After my shower I went upstairs to finish the laundry and get some pre-made homemade cookie dough out of the freezer to bake for the nurses.

I called my doctor to make sure I should come in even though I still wasn’t really able to time my contractions. Barely awake, he said to come and they would check me.  At that point, Matt told me he was going to take a shower and I started to get a little angry, I told him he better hurry.

By the time he was done, all the cookies were finished and he was trying to wrap them up. I was about ready to tell him to forget about the cookies… I was in a lot of pain and really wanted to leave right then— the hospital was about 45 minutes away and we needed to stop for gas.

By the time we were in the car at 4:30 a.m., the smell of the cookies was making me nauseous. I asked Matt if he thought we could make it to the hospital without getting gas.

The car ride to the hospital was horrible, I had a hard time focusing on breathing and kept telling Matt “I can’t do it,” and of course I didn’t have much of a choice. I was so worried about getting to the hospital too early and having them turn me away that I almost sent myself into a panic attack.

Walking into the E.R. department of the hospital took some time because I had to keep stopping. Once we got in at about 5:30 a.m., they checked us in and sent a labor and delivery nurse down to get me.

It took her awhile to get a wheel chair and I was getting a little frustrated. She told me afterward that she took so long because she needed to call labor and delivery and tell them to get me a labor room since she felt there was no need to triage me… clearly I looked that good.

In the elevator she asked if I would want an epidural and I caved immediately. I couldn’t imagine being in so much pain for several more hours.

As soon as I got to the room I got into my gown and onto the bed and they checked me right away and— thank God — I was dilated to almost 5 cm and was 100% effaced so they sent the anesthesiologist in.

I signed all the paperwork had the IV inserted and then just had to wait until I had the required amount of fluids before the epidural.

By 6 a.m., the anesthesiologist was back and getting me ready. I was a little freaked out about having a huge needle inserted into my spine but it wasn’t nearly as bad as the pain I was feeling so TOTALLY worth it to me!

At first, the epidural only took to my left side so my right side was still in quite a bit of pain. The anesthesiologist had to readjust the catheter.

After I had the epidural, I had a few problems. I am not sure if they were because of the epidural or if it would have happened anyway but at about 6:45 a.m. the nurses got a little nervous because I was having so many contractions right on top of each other so they needed to give me Trebutaline to slow down the contractions.

They checked me again and I was at an easy 6 cm.  The nurses called my OB and were upset that he hadn’t headed in yet (I think his shift was ending at 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. and he was hoping the next doctor on call would deal with me).

After they gave me the Trebutaline, both my and the baby’s heart rates kept dropping so they needed to give me another drug to get our hearts rates up. Fortunately, by this time it was about 8:30 a.m. and the OB I really liked arrived.

The OB was worried about L’s heart rate and so he broke my water and unfortunately had to have an internal fetal monitor placed, which made me cry a little because I felt so bad about having it stuck on L’s head.

By about 9:30 a.m., I was dilated to 9 cm and my mom finally arrived! I was so happy to have her there but wasn’t able to chat much because I had an oxygen mask that I had to keep on to keep L’s heart rate at an acceptable level.

By 10:30 a.m. the nurses were back and I was fully dilated and ready to push, they decided that because everything was going well, I could wait an hour before pushing to let him passively descend.

At 11:30 a.m. I was ready to start pushing and I was so happy to have my mom and Matt there even though originally I didn’t want anyone but Matt in the room. I pushed for about 35 minutes before the nurse had to run around trying to find my OB for 20 minutes which was frustrating because at that point the contractions were hurting again.

He finally arrived at 12:35 p.m. and I was able to push. Much to my chagrin, I needed an episiotomy and L was born at 12:44 p.m.  Matt cut the cord and they whisked L away. At that point my mom and Matt were over with L and I was all alone.

I was really sad I wasn’t really able to spend any time with him but they had him back to me as soon as he was weighed and cleaned.

At first I was upset about how many interventions I needed and not having immediate skin-to-skin, but now I am just so happy he is here that none of that matters to me.

I still feel very connected to my little man and couldn’t care less about the actual birth experience… all that matters to me is that he is happy and healthy!

Now my little L is here and I could not be happier!

3 Responses to L’s Birth: With Time for Cookies

  1. Lovely :) Such a good idea to bake cookies! I think I will do this next time for my midwives :)

  2. midwives/nurses everywhere are happy you posted this giving mama’s everywhere the idea. lol What a cute baby boy!

  3. Pingback: Real Birth: Ryan’s Story | Mama Say What?!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>