Lactation Cookies for Nursing Mamas
Nursing mamas… this post is for YOU! Did you know that you are strongly encouraged to eat cookies to ensure that you’ll have enough milk to feed your little one? Yup. It’s true. COOKIES!
Many mamas wonder if they’re making enough milk for their little babes, especially during their little ones’ growth spurts! Some tried and true ways to ensure you’re making enough milk are to drink tons of water, eat real oatmeal, take Fenugreek and eat these cookies (alright, that part might not be proven, but these can posibly give your supply a nice boost).
And, hello… they’re cookies. You’re welcome.
This recipe was taken from The Leaky B@@b. I modified it just a bit. They include lots of yummy oatmeal as well as Brewer’s yeast and flax seed, ingredients thought by many to help boost your milk supply. Beware… they are very tasty! You might have to hide them from your husband so he doesn’t start lactating! (just kidding… that won’t happen if he eats these.)
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons flax seed
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons brewer’s yeast (mine came in capsule form, so I crushed up about 40 pills with a rolling pin to make a powder)
3 cup rolled oats
¾ cup chocolate chips
½ -¾ cup dried cranberries
1. Mix the flour, baking soda, brewer’s yeast and oats in a bowl and set aside.
2. Cream together butter and sugars.
3. Add eggs, vanilla and flax to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing well after each addition.
5. Stir in chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
*The original recipe calls for 1 cup of chocolate chips, but I was a little short so I added some dried cranberries to make up for it.
6. Using a melon baller, drop cookie dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 10 minutes.
8. Let cool on the baking sheet for five minutes and then move to a cooling rack.
9. Eat, enjoy and lactate!
This recipe made about four dozen cookies. I probably should have halved the recipe so I didn’t have so many cookies in my house because they are quite tasty. After all, I’m hoping to not be wearing my maternity pants by the time K is 2 ½. Oh well, I decided I’d share the batch with my friend who welcomed a baby new last week.
Bon Appetit, breastfeeding mamas!